By Michael Kirkwood, Philip Hanson
Read or Download Alexander Zinoviev as Writer and Thinker: An Assessment PDF
Best criticism & theory books
Early glossy German Literature presents an outline of significant literary figures and works, socio-historical contexts, philosophical backgrounds, and cultural tendencies through the 350 years among the 1st flowering of northern humanism round 1350 and the increase of a quite middle-class, anti-classical aesthetics round 1700.
The Origins of the English Novel, 1600-1740, combines old research and readings of terribly different texts to reconceive the rules of the dominant style of the fashionable period. Now, at the 15th anniversary of its preliminary e-book, The Origins of the English Novel stands as crucial studying.
Axes lines the intimate courting among the texts released by means of Willa Cather and William Faulkner among 1922 and 1962. while these texts are juxtaposed and tested rigorously, the 2 writers appear intensely aware of, and attentive to, every one other’s paintings. in truth, either at some point soon seem to have caricatured or parodied the opposite in print.
Poems encourage our belief, argues James Longenbach during this bracing paintings, simply because they do not unavoidably ask to be relied on. Theirs is the language of self-questioning--metaphors that flip opposed to themselves, syntax that strikes a technique since it threatens to maneuver one other. Poems face up to themselves extra strenuously than they're resisted through the cultures receiving them.
- Enter, mysterious stranger: American cloistral fiction
- Horton Hatches the Egg
- Writing Prejudices: The Psychoanalysis and Pedagogy of Discrimination from Shakespeare to Toni Morrison
- From Prague to Paris: A Critique of Structuralist and Post-Structuralist Thought
- The Content of the Form: Narrative Discourse and Historical Representation
Extra resources for Alexander Zinoviev as Writer and Thinker: An Assessment
216, 218; KKR, p. 193. 11. NSNRNB, p. 26. 12. TRC, p. 37; KKR, p. 28. 13. NSNRNB, p. 51. 14. TRC, p. 221; KKR, p. 196. 15. TRC, p. 222; KKR, p. 196. 16. NSNRNB, p. 79. 17. , pp. 51-2. 18. , p. 51. 19. MIZ, p. 145. 20. Ibid. 21. , p. 146. 22. BI, p. 115. 23. BI, p. 116. 24. BI, p. 45. 25. NSNRNB, p. 53. 26. NSNRNB, p. 71. 27. MIZ, p. 83. 28. Ibid. 29. , p. 84. 30. , p. 83. 31. , p. 84. 32. , p. 82. 33. , p. 84. 34. , p. 93. 35. NSNRNB, p. 71. 36. BI, p. 10. 37. MIZ, p. 56. 38. BI, p. 10. 39. TRC, p.
55. 4 Ideology in the Works of A. A. Zinoviev Michael Kirkwood It is tempting to begin this chapter with a quotation from Zinoviev's latest book 1 which might well serve as an epigraph: 'Ignore official ideology. Any attention paid to it only strengthens it. ' 2 This is a piece of advice which one finds from time to time in Zinoviev's work, expressed less succinctly, but no less adamantly. 3 It is advice which he has not taken himself. Discussions of ideology are to be found in many of his works and he has, indeed, recently written a whole book on the subject.
10. 37. MIZ, p. 56. 38. BI, p. 10. 39. TRC, p. 202; KKR, p. 178. 42 Role of Literature in Society Bl, p. 70. , p. 47. , p. 72. , p. 87. , p. 122. , p. 23. MIZ, pp. 94-5. , p. 128. , p. 129. , p. 79. , p. 80. BI, p. 115. , p. 116. MIZ, p. 80. Bl, p. 121. MIZ, p. 80. Bl, p. 9. , p. 10. MIZ, p. 81. , p. 82. '0 tak nazyvaemoi nauchnoi fantastike. (Iz doklada na kongresse nauchnoi fantastiki v Bryussele, XI, 1978)', BI, pp. 19-24. 61. Bl, pp. 24, 23. 62. , p. 23. 63. , p. 13. 64. , p. 22. 65. , p. 13.